Gotta Love Lit

Just another weblog

Spot Always Check Your Blind – Blog #6

Posted by RachelE on June 20, 2011

At that moment, my heart was pounding and I was sweating profusely. To this day, I still shudder when I remember the time I almost died. The day started out like any other – as usual, I was forcing myself to get out of bed for school. I must admit, I wasn’t getting up at the crack of dawn; yet, being summertime, 11 o’clock a.m. felt like dawn. I lethargically got dressed, took one look in the mirror and realized it was as good as it was ever going to get, and hurried downstairs before I gave in and climbed back into bed. I skipped breakfast, which was the normal routine in the mornings, grabbed a juicebox and left the house. I live about 10 minutes from the Long Island Expressway and the drive to the highway was uneventful this specific morning. I began to hope that the rest of my day would go as smoothly as my drive to the highway. Things started to get even better when I entered the highway and saw the traffic was moving well and it wouldn’t take me long to get to school. I breathed a sigh of relief and turned on my left turn signal, changing lanes until I was driving in the fastest lane, closest to the divider on the highway. I was really enjoying this drive and I even started humming along to the songs I didn’t like on the radio. While changing stations on the radio looking for one I could stand, I noticed a car gaining speed in the lane to my right. The car didn’t seem threatening so I didn’t pay closer attention to it as it caught up to me. Apparently, the car was trying to get into my lane but couldn’t because of me. The car sped up until it was ahead of me, but it was still in the second lane. Looking back, I assume I ended up in the car’s blind spot because without warning, the car swerved into my lane. I honked multiple times but it was too late. The only way to avoid crashing was to turn away from the car and into the highway divider. I turned my steering wheel to the left and waited for my car to hit the divider. And yet, at the last second, the car next to mine realized what was happening and turned back into its lane. I sharply turned my steering wheel the other way and narrowly missed the divider. And that, my friends, is the story of how I almost died.